Wednesday 29 July 2009

The Darkness.





In a town in the east
The parishioners were visited upon
By a curious beast
And his eyes numbered but one and shone like the sun
And a glance beckoned the immediate loss
Of a cherished one
It was the coming of the
(Black Shuck) Black Shuck
(Black Shuck) Black Shuck
(Black Shuck)
That dog don't give a f#%k
~ Black Shuck.

Octoped, you've got six hands too many
And you can't keep them to yourself
You're too fat and too old to marry
So they left you on the shelf
I've got no right to lay claim to her frame
But you soiled my obsession
You c#$t.
Get your hands off my woman motherf^&ker
~ Get Your Hands Off My Woman.

I'm being punished for all my offences
I wanna touch you but I'm afraid of the consequences
I wanna banish you from which you came
But you're part of me now
And I've only got myself to blame
~ Growing On Me.

Can't explain all the feelings that you're making me feel
My heart's in overdrive and you're behind the steering wheel
I wanna kiss you every minute, every hour, every day
You got me in a spin but everythin' is A.OK!
~ I Believe In A Thing Called Love.
The first flush of youth was upon you when our eyes first met
And I knew that to you and into your life I had to get
I felt light-headed at the touch of this stranger's hand
An assault my defences systematically failed to withstand
~ Love Is Only A Feeling.

Hey you!
Do you remember me
I used to sit next to you at school
We indulged in all the extra-curricular activites
We weren't particularly cool
Monday, Tuesday
Wednesday, Thursday
Dancing on a Friday night
Let the music smother me
Whole weekend recovery
Dancing on a Friday night
See the lady I adore
Dancing on the dancing floor
Dancing on a Friday night
God, the way she moves me
To write bad poetry
Dancing on a Friday night
With you.
~ Dancing On A Friday Night.

For a band which lasted only two albums, their hard rock and glam infused seminal debut, Permission To Land (2003), works like a rhythmic masterpiece from the 70s and 80s. Acknowledging hard rock era from the days of "big hairdo" bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, G n R as well as glam rockers like Queen, cat suited lead singer Justin Hawkins sang every notes of each song with such falsetto gutso that it was such fun to listen to. Then there was his brother Dan Hawkins, who crunched out such devastating solos from his guitar, supported by bassist Frank Poulain and drummer Ed Graham. Their hilariously camp-ish music videos for their singles were entertaining and definitely harked back to the late 70s and early 80s. Pity they could only carry it all in their debut and by the time their sophomore album came out, it had all fizzled out and they eventually disbanded due to internal strife. Well, like someone said, a candle that burned twice as bright, burns out twice as fast.

No comments: