Sunday 11 September 2011

Blitzway ~ Tony "Scarface" Montana.













I never f**ked anybody over in my life didn't have it coming to them. You got that? All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand? That piece of shit up there, I never liked him, I never trusted him. For all I know he had me set up and had my friend Angel Fernandez killed. But that's history. I'm here, he's not. Do you wanna go on with me, you say it. You don't, then you make a move.

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

The World Is Yours!

What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of f**kin' a******s. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your f$%^kin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through! Better get outta his way!

Is this it? That's what it's all about, Manny? Eating, drinking, f**king, sucking? Snorting? Then what? You're 50. You got a bag for a belly. You got tits, you need a bra. They got hair on them. You got a liver, they got spots on it, and you're eating this f**kin' shit, looking like these rich f**king mummies in here... Look at that. A junkie. I got a f**kin' junkie for a wife. She don't eat nothing. Sleeps all day with them black shades on. Wakes up with a Quaalude, and who won't f**k me 'cause she's in a coma. I can't even have a kid with her, Manny. Her womb is so polluted, I can't even have a f**kin' little baby with her!


You know what capitalism is? Getting f**ked!


You think you can take me? You need a f**king army if you gonna take me! I'm Tony Montana! You f**k with me, you f**kin' with the best! Go ahead! I take your f**king bullets! You think you kill me with bullets? I take your f**king bullets! Go ahead!


Frank : Hey, Tony. Remember when I told you when you first started working for me, the guys that last in this business, are the guys who fly straight. Low-key, quiet. But the guys who want it all, chicas, champagne, flash... they don't last.


Elvira : You say f**k too much.

..................................................


Brian De Palma's 1983 Scarface tells the rise and fall of Tony Montana, a Cuban whom was part of the hundreds of thousands Cuban refugees seeking political asylum and expelled by Castro from Cuba, resulting in the Mariel boat lift (April 15 to October 31, 1980). According to the pretext, Castro also took this opportunity to include criminals from prisons and mental hospitals as part of the refugees arriving in Miami, Florida. Montana was part of these groups of criminals. From being held at a temporary makeshift refugee camp, Montana and his pals, including closest friend and right hand man, Manny, seized each opportunity presented to him and audaciously (as well as violently) worked his way up to become one of the biggest drug lord running a massive drug empire. Scarface gains notoriety and memorable not only for its extreme violence and excessive usage of vulgar language (for its time) but more importantly, for its underlying view of a distorted version of the American Dream. Montana works hard to amass massive fortunes for himself but through drug dealings and killing of rivals. Montana has no redemptive value, is crude (but audacious and cunning) and violent to the point of being a borderline sociopath as well as morally bankrupt (even though he refused to allow an assassin to go ahead with the killing of a Bolivian journalist who wanted to expose the connections between the drug barons and key government individuals because the man's spouse and kids were with him). He lives in a huge but opulently designed mansion and has a trophy wife, Elvira, but like Montana, is herself a materialistic, hardcore drug addict. He seems to care about his mother and sister but may secretly harbours an incestuous desire for the latter, an event which would eventually led to the death of Manny at the hands of Montana. He achieves the distorted Dream but at the cost of his own sanity and the lives of those around him. In certain conversations within the film, Montana, drunk and high on drugs himself, he reflects back onto his own success and his drug business empire. Is this all there is? In the climatic ending, Montana (after being indicted of money laundering and failed assassination of the journalist), he eventually fell in a hail of bullets in a drug fueled, brutal final stand with an army of Bolivian assassins, a retaliatory act by another Bolivian drug baron. Scarface has since gained a cult following status, particularly amongst the hip hop community. It also attracted criticism from the local Cuban community for the negative portrayal of the Cuban society in Florida. And this is perhaps one of the best performances and memorable characters on screen portrayed by Al Pacino.

No comments: