Wednesday 29 February 2012

Bruce Springsteen.










I was bruised and battered, I couldn't tell what I felt.
I was unrecognizable to myself.
I saw my reflection in a window, I didn't know my own face.
Oh brother are you gonna leave me wastin' away
On the Streets of Philadelphia.

I walked the avenue, 'til my legs felt like stone,
I heard the voices of friends vanished and gone,
At night I could hear the blood in my veins,
Black and whispering as the rain,
On the Streets of Philadelphia.

Ain't no angel gonna greet me.
It's just you and I my friend.
My clothes don't fit me no more,
I walked a thousand miles
Just to slip this skin.

The night has fallen, I'm lyin' awake,
I can feel myself fading away,
So receive me brother with your faithless kiss,
Or will we leave each other alone like this
On the Streets of Philadelphia
~ Streets of Philadelphia.

She'll let you in her house
If you come knockin' late at night
She'll let you in her mouth
If the words you say are right
If you pay the price
She'll let you deep inside
But there's a secret garden she hides
She'll let you in her car
To go drivin' 'round
She'll let you into the parts of herself
That'll bring you down
She'll let you in her heart
If you got a hammer and a vise
But into her secret garden, don't think twice

You've gone a million miles
How far'd you get
To that place where you can't remember
And you can't forget

She'll lead you down a path
There'll be tenderness in the air
She'll let you come just far enough
So you know she's really there
Then she'll look at you and smile
And her eyes will say
She's got a secret garden
Where everything you want
Where everything you need
Will always stay
A million miles away
~ Secret Garden.


Confession. I'm not an ardent fan of "The Boss", of which the nickname fans given to Bruce Springsteen, an American musical icon. I know he has a long time band called the E-Street. I just know two of his popular songs, "Dancing In The Dark" and "Born In The USA". He's immensely popular and sings about the blue collar workers most of the time. But the movies, Streets of Philadelphia (Tom Hanks, Densel Washington - 1993) and Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise, Cuba Gooding, Jr.,Renée Zellweger - 1996) gave me two of his most memorable songs, personally of course, Secret Garden and Streets of Philadelphia. Got both in singles format whilst in Perth. And the Secret Garden single contains an alternative strings version (I personally dislike the dialogue snippet infused version, which luckily not in the single), and most surprisingly, is the blistering cover of Aretha Franklin's Pink Cadillac.

No comments: