Wednesday 26 November 2008

Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music.




Now the party's over
I'm so tired
Then I see you coming
Out of nowhere
Much communication
in a motion
Without conversation
or a notion
~ Avalon.

Tell her I'll be waiting
in the usual place
With the tired and weary
and there's no escape.
To need a woman
you've got to know
How the strong get weak
and the rich get poor.
~ Slave To Love.

Nothings last forever
Of that I'm sure
Now you've made an offer
I'll take some more
Young loving may be
Oh so mean
Will I still survive
The same old scene
~ Same Old Scene.

I reckoned I could listen to some "glam rock" and some adult contemporaries for a day. I had been listening to these two collections since yesterday. Bryan Ferry, former lead singer of Roxy Music, had some hits and misses during his solo career. His perchance for "ready made", his term for interpreting songs done by other artists, may not strike a chord with everyone, but in The Collection, although not even "barely" a selection of songs from his solo albums discography, allowed me to get re-acquainted with the lounge fly, cool cat Ferry, all-time favourites include the unforgettable Slave To Love, Girl Of My Best Friend, Let's Get Together, The In-Crowd, Tokyo Joe. The Best Of Roxy Music was another selection of hits compiled during Bryan's time as the lead singer for Roxy Music. Together, they had been credited as one of the pioneers of "art rock" a sort of "glam rock" with "progressive" influence, whatever that means. Arranged in reverse chronology, I preferred their later works like Avalon, More Than This, Same Old Scene. From the Siren's derived single onwards like Love Is A Drug and so-on, I found myself struggling to appreciate their earlier works.

No comments: