Tuesday 4 November 2008

Monkey Cups...new pitchers.


Ahh...finally signs of hope as I noticed both N.Hookeriana and N. Rafflesiana are sprouting new pitchers. However, one of Rafflesiana pitchers had bit the dust, drying and gone all brown and wrinkly on me...
Initially I placed both plants under a small plant, thought the shades plus morning sunlight would be around 50% sunlight as per adviced. Later I realised that I have a unused Ikea side table which I used now to place these 2 plants underneath whilst the Sarracenia and Venus flytrap on the top to receive the max 100% sunlight. I also "borrowed" 2 plastic dishes from mom and placed it underneath them to retain a few cm of tap/rain waters to keep the substrates (consisting of sphagnum moss) hydrated. Hope these will yield results...
At night if I am free, I would also go for a "bug hunt" around the garden compound, for ants or occasional spiders. I put these bugs "manually" into the pitchers for their "nutrients". I am tempted to put few granuales of fish feeds as I had read some horticulturist actually did that but I am holding that idea back abit until I am really sure.

No comments: