Friday 12 December 2008

The Smiths.



I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour
But heaven knows I'm miserable now
I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now In my life
Why do I give valuable time
To people who don't care if I live or die ?
~ Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.
I would go out tonight
But I haven't got a stitch to wear
This man said "It's gruesome that someone so handsome should care"
~ This Charming Man.
Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
It says nothing to me about my life
~ Panic.
Sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking
When I said by rights you should be
Bludgeoned in your bed
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt
Now I know how Joan of Arc felt
As the flames rose to her roman nose
And her Walkman started to melt
~ Bigmouth Strikes Again.
And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well the pleasure, the privilege is mine
~ There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.
Morrissey may now be a grumpy old man and with a vocal style which somehow require a bit of fine tuning on the listening aspect, but back in the 80s, as the lead singer of The Smiths, together with Johnny Marr, they are one of the most important British band that gave a few memorable favourites of mine, such as "This Charming Man", "Hands In Glove", "Bigmouth Strikes Again" and the unforgettable "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". I got all these and more within this compilation of theirs called "Single". I had been trying to "do" that quiff ever since...

No comments: