Saturday 25 April 2009

Portishead.



Please could you stay awhile to share my grief
For its such a lovely day
To have to always feel this way
And the time that I will suffer less
Is when I never have to wake
Wandering stars, for whom it is reserved
The blackness of darkness forever
Wandering stars, for whom it is reserved
The blackness of darkness forever
~ Wandering Star.

I don't want to hurt you
For no reason have I but fear
And I ain't guilty of the crimes you accuse me of
But I'm guilty of fear
~ It Could Be Sweet.

Portishead is another band from Bristol which came up with another favourite album called Dummy, their debut. Co-founder and band member, Geoff Barrow served as a "tape operator" during Massive Attack's Blue Lines session. The songs contain vocalist Beth Gibbons oft sullen voice back by sample heavy snippets which sound like those vintage detective/mystery European movies background music as well as elements from hip hop and even jazz. It is very laidback sounding, cinematic yet quite dark and occasionally could be depressing but in a manner whereby it transports the mind to a place where it is after midnight and raining on an empty street at a cafe, again something like that Nighthawks painting by Edward Hopper.

No comments: